Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Feeling helpless

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the hatchery - towards the end a lovely, friendly dog came along. The Rangers told me that it was one of the ones that hang around the beach all the time now. A guest told me that the hotel is taking care of him, that he comes inside and is given food. I could not convince them that that dog's life is in danger and that soon that food could be laced with strychnine. How long will it be before the hotel accuses this dog of being a killer and justifies placing poison on the beach again? Will it be done individually or will they wait until there are a few dogs? How many dogs do RIU consider 'a problem'? Barely eight weeks and more dogs are back on the beach. How clear is it then that poisoning of dogs is pointless? I am so upset about this dog and feel powerless to do anything to protect it.

A comment that I received yesterday regarding this :

"Is there anyway the Sal Animal Sanctuary can pick them up and maybe take them to someone who would rehome them ...? I feel sick that The Rui have still yet to comment on what action they will take in future or indeed admit liability - their silence just speaks volumes ........"

5 comments:

  1. Are there any type of spay/neuter and release programs in Sal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ecochica, no unfortunately not. We have one very under-resourced vet with no one to help and no clinic. The operations she manages to do are done on her dining table. Sal Animal Rescue was started earlier this year to work with the local government to get a programme going. Unfortunately they also are very under-resourced and received limited support and the programme did not really get off the ground. All the hotels were asked if they could provide accommodation and TUI (owners of RIU) were asked about discounts on flights so that vets could be brought in to run a mass neutering programme. No help was forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry if this is not the correct place to post.

    I came across your blog by chance, but am horrified by what I have read.

    We stayed at the RIU in sal for our honeymoon in September 2009, and had no idea this was going on.

    We were very aware of the dogs on the beach, but we never witnessed any of them causing any trouble or pestering anyone.

    A lovely wee dog came with us on our daily walk during the late afternoon. He looked very well cared for, but I don't think he had a collar, so we assumed he was a stray. (he did look like he had been in a fight at some point as one ear was noticably damaged).

    I was quite upset one evening after seeing him being chased away by some men. He looked so scared that I went back to check he was ok. He was on this occasion (I dread to think what may have happend to him since!).

    Thinking about it, we did see a dog lying in the hotel grounds late one night. We assumed it was just lying down, but I am left wondering now.

    I am so sorry for your loss, and for those others who have lost there pets in such an awful way.

    I really hope you can get some justice and hopefully stop this happening to any other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments highland-wifey. I wish I could tell you whether that little dog would be ok, but sadly the RIU aren't telling us if they are going to stop killing dogs or not.

    ReplyDelete